Graphic by weathermodels.com
The National Hurricane Center’s latest update on Invest 90-L still shows a 90 percent chance of development over the next five days, prompting flash flood warning for the Gulf Coast.
The 6:25 p.m. CST NHC update states that early next week the northern Gulf Coast faces locally heavy rainfall from the disturbance.
The National Weather Service is currently predicting 6-12 inches of rain with possible localized amounts of 12-15 inches.
“Tropical disturbance heading over anomalously warm water of the central and northern Gulf often location of the Loop Current. It has been really hot in Louisiana, and the ridge of high pressure has allowed the ocean to warm quickly. Now (82.4° + F) along coast,” said Meteorologist Dr. Ryan Maue, chief operating officer of weather.us.
Tropical model output for 90L
“Heaviest rain will be along and east of the circulation center,” stated Meterologist James Spann.
Following is the 6:14 p.m. advisory from Santa Rosa County Emergency Management:
- Scattered to numerous thunderstorms can be expected today and tonight.
- Gusty winds, frequent cloud-to-ground lightning and periods of very heavy rain can be expected with the stronger thunderstorms through early tonight.
- Some minor flooding, mostly local, will be possible with some of the stronger storms through early tonight.
- Wind and waves will be higher in scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms today and tonight.
- On the coast, frequent lightning and isolated waterspouts will also be possible.
- A high surf advisory is in effect from Saturday afternoon to Tuesday night.
- A coastal flood watch is in effect from Saturday afternoon to Tuesday night.
- A flash flood watch is in effect from Saturday evening through Tuesday evening.
- The Veterans Memorial Plaza’s annual Memorial Day ceremony has been cancelled due to weather.
- In the south end of the county, a decision has not yet been made for the Memorial Day ceremony in Navarre Park. Cancellation of this event will be determined at a later date. For more information, contact Joseph Louder, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Leisure Street in Holley by the Sea
- Tiger Point Park in Gulf Breeze
- Pace Fire-Rescue in Pace
- The corner of Pine Forest Road and Carroll Road in Milton