This week, Congressman Matt Gaetz (FL-01) and several community leaders announced the final passage of resolutions supporting an increase in the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for military service members in Florida’s First District. The resolutions were introduced and passed in Escambia County, Okaloosa County, Santa Rosa County, and Walton County. In 2021, it was identified that the BAH rate, due to rising inflation and other factors, was insufficient to cover the cost of housing for service members in our district.
Upon learning of the discrepancy, Rep. Gaetz, in coordination with the Pensacola Association of Realtors, Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, Navarre Board of Realtors, Commissioner Jeff Bergosh (District 1, Escambia County), Commissioner Bob Cole (District 2, Santa Rosa County), Commissioner Danny Glidewell (District 2, Walton County), and Commissioner Mel Ponder (District 5, Okaloosa County), drafted and supported the resolutions, signaling to the Department of Defense that the BAH rate increase is unanimously supported by the people of Northwest Florida. The deficiency also prompted our office to add a provision in the FY 2022 National Defense Authorization Act requiring the DOD to produce a report on housing and BAH rates in Northwest Florida due by Spring 2022.
Rep. Gaetz thanks the following individuals and organizations for their exceptional contributions towards enhancing the military mission in Northwest Florida:
- Commissioner Jeff Bergosh, District 1 Escambia County
- Commissioner Bob Cole, District 2 Santa Rosa County
- Commissioner Danny Glidewell, District 5 Walton County
- Commissioner Mel Ponder, District 3 Okaloosa County
- Grey Burge, Pensacola Association of Realtors
- Mike Dollen, Pensacola Association of Realtors
- Dan Gullahorn, Pensacola Association of Realtors
- Chuck Michaels, Pensacola Association of Realtors
- John Waas, Pensacola Association of Realtors
- Melissa Allegretto, Emerald Coast Association of Realtors
- Keith Dean, Emerald Coast Association of Realtors
- Bart Pullum, Navarre Area Board of Realtors