Same-day permitting now available in Santa Rosa for all minor storm repairs.

Posted on September 21, 2020 by Staff reports

Any residential service that has been determined to need repair will require a permit and inspection before the service can be re-energized. However, as an option, a duly licensed electrical contractor (EC or ER) is authorized to work with the power company to have the service re-energized before an inspection is performed by Santa Rosa County Building Inspection Department. This is only valid when a permit has been issued for the work being performed on an existing residential service. A request for inspection must be made by the electrical contractor within 24 hours of completion of the work. The permit holder (electrical contractor) is approving the re-energizing of the power at their own risk and is responsible for addressing any code violations in a timely manner. Owner pulled permits cannot use this option and will require an inspection prior to the service being re-energized.
Subordinate trade permit fees are as follows:
  • One inspection permits are $64 for residential and $94 for commercial.
  • Multiple inspection permits are $94 for residential and $134 for commercial with the exception of plumbing permits. Multiple inspection plumbing permits depend on the fixture count and are a minimum of $124 for residential and a minimum of $214 for commercial.

When submitting a permit application for emergency repairs via email to, use “emergency repair” in the email subject line so those submittals are prioritized.
Traffic congestion is causing delays with inspections. Contractors and homeowners are encouraged to utilize virtual inspections when possible.
A permit is required but not limited to-

Building (Complete the residential building permit application or commercial building permit application and a scope of work).

  • Foundation repairs (Depending on the extent of damage an engineered plan may be required.)
  • Drywall and insulation replacement
  • Roofing repairs
  • Structural damage, i.e. truss/rafters damaged (Depending on the extent of damage an engineered plan may be required.)

Electrical (Complete the electrical permit application).

  • Electrical repairs or wiring replacement – Electrical wire, cable and equipment that has been submerged in floodwaters should be replaced to assure a safe and reliable electrical system. Contact a qualified person, such as a licensed electrical contractor, to examine your electrical system to determine if the cable can be re-energized.
  • Service panel/mast repairs. 
  • For more information visit:
  • Receptacles and boxes that were below the water line will need to be replaced. 

Mechanical (Complete the mechanical permit application.)

  • Air conditioner/heating replacement of condenser and/or evaporator
  • Duct work below the water line shall be replaced 

Plumbing (Complete the plumbing permit application.)

  • Replacement of lift stations
  • Replacement or reconfiguration of water or sewer pipes
  • Replacement of water heater

Gas (Complete the gas permit application.)

  • Replacement or reconfiguration of pipes
  • Replacement of water heater 

Warning signs of an unlicensed contractor-

  • The contract offers a verbal contract only.
  • The contractor does not have proof of insurance. A licensed contractor in the Santa Rosa County is required to have workers compensation and general liability insurance.
  • The contractor asks you to obtain the permit. The permit holder is held responsible for making any changes needed to pass inspections. If you hold the permit then we expect you to make the corrections.
  • The contractor states that a permit is not required. Most often a permit is required except for minor repairs.
  • The contractor only provides a copy of a Business Tax Receipt as proof of a license. The State of Florida requires an individual to hold a State Certification, State Registration of Specialty Trade License (building, residential, electrical, mechanical, etc.) in the field they are contracting to lawfully engage in contracting. Each will have a wallet card labeled with their name and scope of trade.
  • Check the Department of Business and Professional Regulations’ website for more information on unlicensed contractors. Report suspected unlicensed activity to: 850.488.6603. 

Protecting yourself-

  • Contact your insurance agent.
  • Obtain more than one bid for the work you want performed.
  • Verify licenses before you hire or sign a contract. Check the DBPR or the Santa Rosa County website to ensure they are properly licensed.
  • Never pay cash in full before the work is completed.
  • Check the business out with the Better Business Bureau

Becoming a licensed contractor in Santa Rosa County

  • If you are licensed within another jurisdiction in the state of Florida, the process to become licensed may be a matter of just a matter of providing the appropriate information to our office. View this checklist to view the needed items.
  • If you are not currently licensed within the State of Florida, you will need to take a test for the specified trade. View this document for more information on the testing process. 

What can a homeowner permit?-

  • Florida Statute 489.103 authorizes contractor exemptions and allows a homeowner to purchase their owner permit under certain restrictions. If you as the homeowner choose to individually hire a sheet rock laborer, insulation installer and an electrician, you may pull an owner-builder permit. However, if you hire someone who then hires all of the needed workers, that person must be a licensed contractor and they should pull the permit for the needed repairs. Review our owner-builder disclosure for more information about the exemption.

For questions about a contractor or permit requirements, call our office anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at 850.981.7000.