The Santa Rosa County Chapter of Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT), Florida’s statewide youth organization, is recruiting new members, grades 6-12.
SWAT is a united movement of empowered youth working towards a tobacco free future. The mission of SWAT is to mobilize, educate, and equip Florida youth to revolt against and de-glamorize Big Tobacco.
SWAT’S purpose is to:
- Provide Florida youth with a voice to stand up to Big Tobacco through a coordinated movement against the tobacco industry.
- Advocate for local policy change to achieve their long-term goal of de-normalizing tobacco in their communities.
- Provide young people with the chance to be advocates for tobacco free policies and get involved in their schools, communities, region, and state.
- Serve as a voice to the local Tobacco Free Partnership and to provide the local tobacco program with insightful information and expert advice on combating tobacco use by teens within the state of Florida.
- Allow youth to gain “real life” experience through planning, executing, and evaluating tobacco prevention activities.
Santa Rosa’s SWAT chapter meets 1 to 2 times per month at the Florida Department of Health in Milton. Our chapter includes clubs at 3 middle schools and 2 high schools (Avalon Middle, Hobbs Middle, Holley-Navarre Middle, Jay High, and Milton High). However, it is not necessary to attend one of those schools to join SWAT.
SWAT is looking for youth interested in making a difference and being involved in their community. Activities may include community education and outreach, public speaking, data collection and advocacy. “We are looking for youth from diverse backgrounds with a variety of skills and talents to enhance our local program.” said Kristie Beckstrom, Santa Rosa County SWAT Coordinator.
Interested youth/parents may call (850) 564-2297 for more information or attend the next meeting on July 22nd from 5:30 to 6:30 at the Florida Department of Health at 5527 Stewart Street in Milton.
About Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT)
SWAT is Florida’s statewide youth organization working to mobilize, educate and equip Florida youth to revolt against and de-glamorize Big Tobacco and the e-cigarette industry. SWAT is a united movement of empowered youth working towards a tobacco free future.