It’s that time of year when snowbirds flock to our beautiful beaches to avoid dreadful cold weather elsewhere, and the Santa Rosa County Tourist Development Office and other local businesses and groups have planned related welcoming and entertaining activities.
The festivities kick off January 4 with Welcome Day at the Navarre Beach Visitor Information Center, located at 8543 Navarre Parkway. From 10 a.m. through 12 noon, snowbirds can catch up on all things Navarre Beach and Santa Rosa County. The event will feature light refreshments along with information on local businesses, event calendars, restaurants, attractions and other amenities.
The fun continues with the Snowbirds Activities Series hosted by the Tourism Office. The sessions take place at the Navarre Beach Visitor Information Center with the exception of the Jan. 20 event as noted below. Each session features a different theme or activity designed for visiting snowbirds and local seniors. Space is limited, so call 850-981-8900 for more information and to sign up. Sessions include:
- Jan. 6, 10 a.m. – Snowbirds Game Day
- Jan. 12, 10 a.m. – Snowbirds Lecture about Nature Trails in Santa Rosa County
- Jan. 13, 10 a.m. – Snowbirds Arts and Crafts – Flip Flop Signage (limited to 16 households)
- Jan. 18, 10 a.m. – Snowbirds Lecture about Naval Live Oaks
- Jan. 20, 12 p.m. – Snowbirds Arts and Crafts – Make a Mug (limited to 16 attendees) ***takes place at Sunny Day Family Art Studio, 4327 Gulf Breeze Pkwy., Gulf Breeze
- Jan. 25, 10 a.m. – Snowbirds Lecture about Navarre Beach Artificial Reefs
- Jan. 27, 10 a.m. – Snowbirds Arts and Crafts – Flower Arranging Class (limited to 30 attendees)
Additionally, the Navarre Beach Marine Science Station will also host Snowbirds Sessions at its facility, located at 8638 Blue Heron Court on Navarre Beach. The session are for visiting snowbirds and local seniors to learn and explore the local ecosystems of Navarre Beach and the Gulf of Mexico via interactive science classes. Pre-registration is required. Each participant receives a session take-away bag. For more information and to register, visit www.navarrebeachmarinesciencestation.com or call 850-261-2141.
- Jan. 13, 2 to 3 p.m. – Beachcombing
- Jan. 20, 2 to 3 p.m. – Dive into Coral Reefs
- Jan. 23, 2 to 3 p.m. – Beach Ecology
Other confirmed community events for snowbirds include:
Jan. 5, 4-7 pm – Windjammers on the Pier, located at 8579 Gulf Blvd., Navarre Beach. Visiting winter guests can enjoy a walk on the pier for $1 admission cost plus get a discount coupon for the bar.